Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Brace of Force India can make anything better.

Ugh, a double retirement for Ferrari in Oz. What to do..? And what to say? By tomorrow everyone will be blabbing that the F60 has massive reliability issues or some nonsense, besides being behind the curve on the whole diffuser business. It's a little depressing. I've got to say that I'm proud of Felipe Massa. He was running a decent race. And KERS seems to be working out for him. Move over Rafaela, this is true love, lol. :) I'm sure, though, that we'll get this all sorted soon. We win and lose as a team and I know we can pull through this.

It's true, Brawn dominated the race from start to finish. Jens led every lap and Rubens very impressively fought through the field after one of the worst starts I've seen in a long time. Well, at least since David Coulthard, haha.












Yes, I've been a bit sour about Brawn, but I actually don't think I can be anymore. It would be a bit hypocritical for me to resent either of those drivers for getting such a good car, as I've been pressing for them to get the respect and drives they deserve for some time now. I distinctly remember lamenting Jenson's early accident at Monaco last year and rooting for him at Silverstone as my favorite British driver. And I think that Rubens just deserves to be happy for a bit. Overall, well done. They ran a great race and were so humble at the end. Plus Jenson Button's utter excitement at having won was really darling. Also Barrichello's lovableness at the press conference. Best part though was probably the Ross Brawn's all-black spandexy outfit, which seriously was ninja gear. Honestly, if you just gave him a mask, well... Yeah, I don't know exactly what ninjas do.. (What do they do?) Maybe Brawn will have to become my loyalty B team..

Other higlights of this race? Here they are, in reverse order of my excitement:

4. Peter Windsor's pre-race gridwalk.

Guys, honestly! How did I not see the comedic value in this before?! Essentially Peter Windsor just walks up and down the grid, aprehending personnel and drivers and popping into their conversations like the awkward kid in high school. Watching him try to get drivers to chat with him was hilarious. After being rejected by Nick Heidfeld, he managed to land a brief interview... with Nelsinho Piquet. :) It was quality lolz.

3. Jarno Trulli's antics on the podium and in the press conference.












I was truly bemused (ha, pun!) by Trulli. He got really intense. What was going on with all that punching? And the weird faces in the press conference? Mysterious, yes. And highly entertaining.

2. Peter Windsor refusal to see reason.

Kubica's decision to tangle with Sebastian Vettel ultimately ended with a three-wheeled Red Bull which actually ran fairly well under the circumstances. However, as Red Bull limped along, one of the Speed crew pointed out that Vettel was still running in the points. David Hobbs astutely pointed out that he could be black-flagged at any second for safety reasons. Peter Windsor, however, did not seem to see a problem with this situation, insisting that Vettel could still continue. To which Steve Machett exasperatedly said, "Peter!"

1. Nothing is hotter than Bob Varsha's vocabulary.

OMG, I love Bob Varsha's vocabulary. It gets me every time. As Speed cut to a frame of Giancarlo Fisichella tailing Adrian Sutil, Bob Varsha remarked "There's a brace of Force India." In case you aren't sure why this is delightful, click here and refer to definition 10.

As happy as these people have made me, there are some people who are definitely not in my good graces at present:

First off, Kubica. Although you probably won't remember, I once wrote a post in which a set of disembodied arms slapped up Fernando Alonso for eying Felipe Massa's race seat. Well, as we speak the same set of limbs is descending on Robert Kubica and the right hand is absolutely shaking an index finger vigorously under his nose. Robert Kubica, what were you thinking! You absolutely took out Sebastian Vettel, poor boy, and you've terribly upset him! So you march down to Red Bull this instant and apologize! Go!

This is the problem that I've seemed to have developed with Kubica as of late. I'm finding him to be overly agressive. It's just like when he almost took out Lewis Hamilton while fighting with him in Brazil last season even though he was a lap down. I most definitely didn't have a problem with it at the time (for obvious reasons), but he's got to monitor that ruthless behavior. I also hear that he's rather curt with his engineers.. Hmm..

As much as it pains me to say it, Kimi, you're also in the doghouse. Watching Raikkonen put the car into the wall brought back a vignette of several unpleasant flash-backs from last season. It really puts me in a tough position. I really love Kimi. I'll never forget the 2007 season. He's largely responsible for my decision to invest in F1 (spare time, not cash, although I would totally sponsor Brawn just to put something else on that bare car!). However, if he has another season like last year in which he just seems not to give a damn, I won't hesitate to start looking forward to Alonso.. It'll make me really sad, but it is something I will do.

At the end of it all, once again, Brawn GP, I commend you. Just know that we will race you again Ross Brawn, and we will beat you!

No comments: