Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hooray, Felipe Massa! (The Turkey Edition)

Felipe Massa had his third consecutive win at Turkey this morning, and I am so proud! I was going to watch the race at LUNDs, but the network wouldn't let me run TVU Player, so I had to read the live race commentary on PlanetF1. Needless to say, I was totally jittery and tense, trying to imagine what was going on, etcetera, etcetera. Apparently I wasn't the only one. According to Rob Smedley (Massa's race engineer), Felipe was having a bit of a freak-out in the car, especially when Lewis Hamilton passed him:
"We had to keep him calm by telling him that Hamilton was three-stopping and the race would come back to him if he kept his head."
And yes, the race did come back and now Felipe Massa can celebrate his Turkish hat-trick and make jokes about how he now qualifies to get a Turkish passport.

I'm pretty pleased with Kimi Raikkonen's performance. Granted it wasn't his best, but he did drive the whole race with a damaged front wing and even set fastest lap! It would have been interesting to see what Heikki Kovalainen could have done if he hadn't had the puncture. I have no problem seeing him win races, but it was nice to see Ferrari win again today. We're massively ahead in the points! Stefano Domenicali keeps denying that Ferrari is "dominant" this season. True, one can't be too optimistic, but I bet you anything he gets out of those interviews and says, "Yeah, we actually are the best, kthnx!" With this win, Massa pulls into a tie with Hamilton for second (28 points), just seven behind Kimi (35 points). I'd love to see Massa win a title. :) I was talking to my mom about that today and I told her that I think he looks like my cat, Ponca:

Me: He's so adorable. He looks like my cat.
My mom: Does he have a little pink nose, too?
My dad: (Angry expression which translates into, "You better not have gotten a pet!")
My mom to my dad: "F1 driver."
My dad: (Shakes head which translates to, "Oh no, not the racing again..)
Me: "Maybe we should just get him to come live with me. He'd be like a pet, but ten times better. He could live in the closet in the living room."
My mom: "I don't think he's going to want to live in your closet."
Me: "Well, we could make a better closet!"

Here's to the better closet!

No comments: