Monday, May 5, 2008

Shuffle-Board

Well, my sources tell me that Ferrari (and Renault) have been actively looking at signing Robert Kubica for next season. The fact that Ferrari is shopping around tells me something, namely that in all probability one of my favorite drivers is no longer going to be with my favorite team. Sobering, isn't it? So who are we going to lose? Although Stefano Domenicali has assured us that there's absolutely no truth in it, there has been some speculation that Kimi Raikkonen may retire at the end of the season and walk away from F1 if he wins back-to-back championships (definitely a possibility, as you'll see if you've looked at the standings lately). It's also no secret that at the start of the season there were real doubts about Felipe Massa's prospects of keeping his race seat in 2009. As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning towards Felipe leaving. Robert Kubica is an equally amiable guy and also a quality driver, but he differs from Massa in that he seems to be more coolheaded and less excitable behind the wheel. Those things are infinitely desirable, I'm sure. I'm not saying that Massa is always making mistakes based on those aspects, but unfortunately it happens occasionally.

So here I am, sitting on my couch, supposed to be writing a paper and trying to decide how I feel about Robert Kubica. I will be sad to lose my regular driver(s). I would miss Felipe Massa dearly (although I guess it won't be as if he has died; I am making this much more dramatic than it needs to be lol), but I'm fairly sure he could get a drive somewhere else. I guess, all-in-all, I could get used to Kubica. He is really tall, a poker player, and he talks with his hands, which pleases me to no end. I love this picture! Exactly what he is trying to say/convey, well, I'm stumped, but isn't it great?!










So I'm making the best out of the situation. I guess there's always the possibility that Ferrari is finally getting rid of Marc Gene (whose chief position as of late seems to be Blogger Extraordinaire, rather than Test Driver). Still, it'd be a shame to see Robert Kubica only doing testing work there.

No comments: